The City of Athens cares for West State Street Cemetery and Union Street Cemetery. For more detailed information, click on the link to the specific cemetery on the left. The cemetery pages will include information like background/history, notable people, and links to resources for families and genealogists. For additional resources or information, contact Deputy Service-Safety Director Andrew Chiki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cemetery Rules and Regulations
- Union Street Cemetery Pricing/Purchase Outline
- Indigent Burial Request Form (Please note the City of Athens only does cremation)
- Monument Placement Application
- Cemetery Plot Donation Form
- Link to Veterans Administration Application for Headstone/Marker
- Link to Union Street Cemetery GIS records @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
West State Street Cemetery
West State Street Cemetery is the first designated cemetery in the City of Athens. It counts among its eternal residents early pioneers, founders of the community and surrounding areas, emancipated slaves and several War Veterans going back to the Revolution. Time has not always been kind to the cemetery and there were periods where it was left in disrepair. Over the years, a few residents have taken an interest in the documentation and preservation of the records and locations of those interred at the cemetery. Despite their best efforts, many graves are unmarked or unknown. A statue of an angel stands near the entrance to the cemetery memorializing the unknown dead.
Union Street Cemetery
- Episcopal Church of the Good Shepard Columbarium (Maintained by the Episcopal Church)
- Mount Calvary Catholic Cemetery (Maintained by the Archdiocese of Steubenville)
- The Ridges Cemeteries (also known as Athens Asylum, maintained by the State of Ohio, Ohio University)
- Union Street Cemetery (Maintained by the City of Athens, formerly operated by the Athens Cemetery Association and also known as Athens Cemetery)
- West State Street Cemetery (Maintained by the City of Athens @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>