The Disabilities Festival scheduled for March 18th has been CANCELLED and the Disabilities Commission regular meeting (which was rescheduled from 3/18/20 to 3/19/20) has been CANCELLED.
The Athens City Commission on Disabilities is an agency of city government whose commitment is to provide a means for the concerns of people with disabilities to be heard; to advocate for public policy change; to provide expertise to the community on disabilities; and tell the community about the strengths and limitations of people with disabilities, as well as how the community can help them improve their quality of life, thereby ensuring equality of opportunity and full participation in community life for everyone.
The Commission consists of a minimum of 11 members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by Athens City Council, one City Council Representative, and the Mayor or his designee. Term length is three years.
|Bouvier, Dianne (Mayor's Designee)||N/A|
| Dikis, Rose
| Dilley, Berry
|Dower, Samorra S.||12/31/21|
| Lewis, Carolyn (Treasurer)
| McNelly, David R. (Chair)
|Smedley, Arian (City Council Rep)||N/A|
|Trembly, Noah (Vice-Chair)||12/31/20|
Powers & Duties
- Make recommendations to the Athens City government on city services related to the needs of persons with disabilities
- Act as liaison between members of the community and local government
- Respond to questions from the public, local government, and community
- Consult with Athens city officials, council, and citizens
- Inform the city of grant opportunities
- Submit activity reports and recommendations to the Athens City Council
- 3rd Wednesday of every month
- 5:30 PM
- Community Center
To make a presentation or to add agenda items contact the Mayor's Office: (740) 592-3338