The Athens City Commission on Disabilities is a committee of city government whose commitment is to provide a means for the concerns of people with disabilities to be heard; to advocate for public policy change; to provide expertise to the community on disabilities; and to tell the community about the strengths and limitations of people with disabilities, as well as how the community can help them improve their quality of life, thereby ensuring equality of opportunity and full participation in community life for everyone.
The Commission consists of a minimum of 11 members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by Athens City Council, one City Council Representative, and the Mayor or his designee. Term length is three years.
|Bouvier, Dianne (Vice Chair)||12/31/25|
|Hughes, Allyson (Secretary)||12/31/23|
|Korpi, Annah Abetti||12/31/25|
|Lewis, Carolyn (Treasurer)||12/31/25|
|McCarey, Micah (City Council Representative)||N/A|
|McNelly, David R. (Chair)||12/31/25|
|Rogers, Lacey (Mayor's Designee)||N/A|
Powers & Duties
- Make recommendations to the Athens City government on city services related to the needs of persons with disabilities
- Act as liaison between members of the community and local government
- Respond to questions from the public, local government, and community
- Consult with Athens city officials, council, and citizens
- Inform the city of grant opportunities
- Submit activity reports and recommendations to the Athens City Council
- 3rd Wednesday of every month
- 5:30 PM
- Community Center
The public is welcome to attend.
To make a presentation or to add agenda items contact the Mayor's Office: (740) 592-3338
Designing the New Athena Award
Designed by Luke Hawk in 2021, the Athens Disabilities Commission selects one member from the community a year who goes above and beyond to make the lives of those with different disabilities and abilities lives much easier. Barbara Conover was the recipient of the 2021 Athena Award.
Watch the full interview with Luke Hawk and Dr. Carolyn Lewis by clicking the link below.